The success of a teacher/coach of youth soccer, are based on the following aspects:
• Progression in the provision of sports, according to their integral development and harmonious, helping them to congregate the demands of their life sports, educational, social and familiar.
• Reduced abandonment and accretion "visible", the taste for training and competition in children trained by him.
• Ability to identify and develop talent's for soccer
• Number of young players trained by him that achieved high levels of good performance, in medium and long term.
• Capacity to establish, with the kids trained by him, relations of friendship that remain a long term.
• Know what him want and what paths to follow, a correct philosophy of intervention as teacher/coach of youth soccer.
• Seeks to update and improve the level in its function as teacher/coach.
However, big part of people involving with the youth soccer, directors (some coaches) parents and family of players, has an enormous desire to win, since very soon, exerting a huge pressure on the players and teachers/coaches, about the immediate result to be achieved. Are various the Malefic from this situation in all of process of developing.
• If you have players endowed with a great power to shooting (because they had a very early muscle development), has to drive all the game to them, that with their shots from far and from any distance, can score a goal, because the goals are big and the goalkeepers are small, only these players compete marking goal kick, corner kick, free kicks and even make the throw-ins.
• If the team has players with very speed, has to play systematically the ball to them, since based on their speed, win games.
• If we have strong players, hard, aggressive, but little skilled, are the ideal type to destroy the game of the adversaries, through individual markings of the entire soccer field, in order to eliminate the most technically players of the opposing teams (We do not play, but the adversary also don't play).
• If we have tall players, we have to put the whole team to make crosses in the air to the opposition area, to explore the game of our player “head-man goal ".
• Even being winning the game, continue to play with the same players, from the beginning to the end of the game not giving opportunity that everyone can have the happiness and enjoyment of playing, because the fear that the opponent team can draw or even win the game.
• If we are to wining and have a few minutes to finish the game, we retreat everyone close to our defense, we stop to play with forwards, when we recovery the possession of the ball, our only objective are destroying the game (of the opponent and our) throwing the ball with strength, and as far as possible from our goal.
In this restlessly, Ivan de la Pena (ex-Barcelona player), reported an interesting experience lived with his coach Laureano Ruiz, in youth soccer:
“One day, I played one final in Spain. I remember we won by a minimum difference, and missing few minutes to finish the game. I delayed my position on the field, to help the defense and sometimes i kicked balls forward with strength and away from our goal.
The game is over, and I was very happy to have won that final”.
The next day, Laureano spoke to me and told me “Ivan, I am upset with you. I want to tell you, that yesterday you fells in the ridiculous. You played badly.”
“How can a player with your quality treat so badly the ball?”
“How are possible, with your technically so good, do not you play the ball as you know?”
“You'll have time to win finals and trophies. Now your worries is about to learn (develop)”.
“Each time you kick one ball forward at random, you goes to feeling, as if you have scored a goal in your own goal ".
“That afternoon I felt bad, at first I was annoyed, but then I understood everything, Laureano had reason”
• If the team loses a couples of games (because the opponent teams were better), happens a breakdown on the process of developing (should be continuous), happens the, disappoint from some parents (some coach included), change the methods of training/developing, and find quick solutions (wrong) for the team not to lose the next game (develop is a long process).
We, will need to understand that soccer are collective game, and that in the early stages of learning the game, was due to focus on equal opportunities and a multilateral development of all players, giving them happiness and enjoyment in activity.
Surely we are not contributing to a qualitative improvement of soccer, using predominantly individualized certain players, momentary have a body growth (height, weight, muscle mass) more advanced, and so for that reason has in the youth soccer, too many advantages over smaller players, though these are technically and tactically more evolved.
What happens often are those who have had a more rapid body growth, after puberty, stagnate and end up being "outdated" by the smaller player, that they are more gifted technically and tactically, end up imposing and progress as players, while the more body growth developed early, but with less technical skills and tactics, eventually leave soccer.
Are the cases of players like, Saviola (Barcelona, Real Madrid, Benfica), Messi (Barcelona), that are high-level players, but they had some difficulties in playing with regularities in phases of U10, U12, U14, due to their lower body development.
Happens very often we invested too much time to hyper-request the children with more gifted body, who later goes leave soccer, disregarding the most gifted technically and tactically, they come the soccer players of the future.
What level could have today, the less gifted players bodily, currently are considered good players, if they were properly stimulated while young?
In soccer, the great talents as are the cases of Figo (Barcelona, Real Madrid, Inter Milan), Romario (Barcelona), are emphasized by their tactical-techniques skills, and not by their physical capabilities.
In teaching soccer, whether in a training and playing situations, coaches, must use methods and request the players the use of means that lead them to build a level of play of good quality, (avoiding the anarchic game based on kicking forward and random), even at the risk of one or another game, they cannot come to win.
Who plays poorly, can win occasionally, but most of the time, Won that playing better. All we should do to that happen.